Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Red Velvet Cupcakes

I just wanted to share this link with you. It turned out really good. Red Velvet Cupcakes - McCormick recipe
I thought the frosting didn't hold shape so well but it tasted pretty good still. I also filled them differently. I found out how to do that  here: Filling cupcakes. I was then able to take the discarded cupcakes bits and use it as topping! Oh and I also mixed in like 3/4 c of mini chocolate chips to the batter to give it a little extra something. So here's what it all looked like :
 Next time I do these I think I'd try this cream cheese frosting recipe from my Magnolia bakery cookbook:

1 lb (2 8oz pkgs) cream cheese softened slightly cut into small pieces
1/2 (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened slightly, cut into small pieces
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
5 cups sifted confectioners' sugar

In med size bowl on med speed beat cream cheese and butter until smooth, about 3 min. Add the vanilla. Gradually beat in sugar and then beat until we incorporated. This ends up being enough icing for a 2 or 3 layer cake but whatever extra I have I just keep in the fridge and use it on whatever. Its my favorite I've found and its just really good .

No comments: