Thursday, March 17, 2011

Pesto Pizzettas

This was so new for me but I had to give it a chance. You use polenta. What the heck is polenta? Like grits I guess? I was blindly searching for it at the grocery store. I guess they sell it pre made in a tube but I couldn't find that but I just stumbled upon dry polenta so I searched the internet and made it myself. You basically mix it up like you're making malt o meal and then spread it on parchment paper on a cookie sheet and let it cool in the fridge. Then I used a round cookie cutter to cut the shapes. So anyway... here's the recipe. I really liked it and a couple of these can make for a nice snack or you can have like 3 of these with a couple cups of salad and a little fat free dressing and a cup of fresh berries for lunch. Here we go:

Ingredients:

1 (24 oz) tube precooked, ready to heat polenta (usually found refrigerated in the produce dept. or near dried polenta in the pasta isle.... I found mine near like flax seed and whole wheat bran)
1/4 c low fat marinara sauce
2 tbsp bottled pesto
1/4 roasted red bell pepper, cut into thin strips (I used the ones in the jar)
4 artichoke hearts, thinly sliced
3/4 c shredded low or reduced fat mozzarella or Italian cheese blend
Fresh basil or thyme

Preheat oven to 400

Spray the polenta slices lightly with olive oil cooking spray and place them on a baking sheet. Bake the polenta for 8 minutes. While it's baking, place all the toppings in small bowls for quick and easy assembly. Turn the polenta slices over and bake for 8 minutes longer. Remove the polenta from the oven and turn on the broiler.

Top each baked polenta round with 1 tsp of marinara sauce. Add 1/2 tsp pesto, a strip of roasted bell pepper, artichoke slices and 1 tbsp of cheese.

Broil the pizzettas for about 3 minutes, or just until the cheese is melted, bubbly, and light golden. Remove the pizzettas from the oven and top them with the fresh herbs. Serve immediately. Leftovers heat well the next day.

(I usally just make enough for what I'm going to eat then since it gives you the measurements of exactly what goes on it so you can do that too)

No comments: