Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Texas Ranch Style Stew

This is another recipe from my Everyday Light Meals cookbook. It's yummy, its easy, and I like that its flexible. I think you could add additional veggies or any beans to fit your taste. So here we go:

1 c small shell pasta (I use whole wheat medium... its all I can find in whole wheat in Winco's bulk section)
1 lb. lean ground beef ( Like I've said many times I prefer ground turkey)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium green pepper, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced (I don't have time to be mincing up garlic so I use the pre-packed stuff)
3 cans (5 1/2 oz each) reduced sodium V8 juice
1 can (15 oz) ranch style beans or baked beans, undrained (I use kidney beans instead. I think they are heartier plus when we were on WIC I stocked up on a lot of those and chick peas so yeah... I use what I have already)
1 can (14 1/2 oz) southwestern diced tomatoes, undrained (you can buy the name brands that way or look for the cheap store brand that is diced tomatoes with green chilis... way cheaper)
1/2 c frozen corn, thawed (I love corn. I'll add a cup or more)
1 tbsp chili powder (I thought this might be much for Charlotte but it doesn't make it too spicy and she still eats it up)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Cook the pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, cook the beef, onion, bell pepper and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain the pasta. Stir into the stew. Then serve it up!
Sometimes we like to add a little grated sharp cheddar on top. Or we'll do leftovers with some tortilla chips with melted cheese. I love this recipe because you can really do a lot with it. You can add extra veggies or maybe add a little cumin to it. So many options. Hope you guys enjoy!

No comments: